~ "C"
As far as I know (and don't know...), well, according to about.com, hid lights are a different type of lighting technology utilized in automobiles for greater effectiveness and greater efficiency. Unlike Halogen (or incandescent) bulbs, HID bulbs do not have filaments.

If you're an oblivious-to-anything-that-concerns-a-vehicle wifey like I am, then you must have pronounced this as "Hid" like you would say "Head" instead of it spelled out as in H-I-D. My husband laughed so hard at me last night when I asked him what they were. The auto tech that he is, that just earned me a double dose of laughter.

But so you don't get laughed at, here's some 411.

  • HID stands for "High Intensity Discharge". HID lights get their name from the intense white light produced by the electrical discharge.
  • Instead of heating a filament as standard halogen bulbs do, HID bulbs create light by bridging an arc between two electrodes similar to the energy transfer of lightning. The arc stimulates a mixture of Xenon gases and metallic salts, producing a phenomenal bright white beam of light approximately 3x brighter than conventional halogen illumination, while lasting 10x longer!
I should start learning more about this. It sounds smarter than baking a cake.

Maybe. Maybe not.
Bookmark and Share

Share
|
1 Response
  1. Rose world Says:

    thank you for the information. At least i would know when my hubby ask me next time. hahaha!


Post a Comment