~ "C"
Coming back from the very restful weekend, I started doing things differently.

I would pretend that I am in a slow motion video -- not rushing things. I would walk slowy, shuffle through papers and documents slowly, talk slowly, drive my car slowly and even those that I do routinely and automatically in precise rhythms even with my eyes closed, I decided to do slowly: chewing my food, drying some plates, sweeping the floor, folding clothes...

I decided to pretend that there really isn't any reason to rush anything, even if we can expertly accomplish some routines through constant repetitive practice. The sun rises, the sun sets. The day changes to another day in precise 24-hr cycles. They are fixed rhythms. It is us that makes these days roll like we only get 15 minutes on good days, 5 minutes on bad days.

And then I realized that there really isn't any reason to rush anything.

It's funny because the clock in our department at work seemed to have malfunctioned today too. The seconds hand (the one that ticks around like a steady heartbeat), simply stopped. The clock still tells the time accurately, but the hand that's supposed to be the fastest teller of elapsing time just stopped as if it wants to go against time itself. How ironic.

So from this day forward, I am going to start slowing things down, pausing, savoring, breaking tasks into little enjoyable pieces. And so I will also start "feeling" the 24 hours that I'm really entitled to each passing day.

And this I must tell you.

I'm liking it so far.



Bookmark and Share
|
0 Responses

Post a Comment